Help with a Federal Agency
How I Can Help You
One of my most important duties as your representative in Congress is to assist you when dealing with federal agencies – this assistance is referred to as casework. My casework staff and I are ready to help you cut through “red tape” and secure the services and benefits paid for by our tax dollars.
Constituents most commonly approach my staff for casework when they do not receive a timely response from a federal agency, when they wish to appeal a decision, or if they have lost important documents. Examples of federal agencies that we work with include the Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS), the Social Security Administration (SSA), and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), among others.
Cases I Can Help You With
Before you contact my office for assistance with your case, it is a good idea to first determine if your concern is something my office has the authority and jurisdiction to help you with.
I can help you if you need assistance dealing with a federal agency. A federal agency is an organization that reports to the Executive branch of the United States Government such as the Social Security Administration (SSA), the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), the Postal Service (USPS), and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), to name a few. View a complete list of Federal Agencies. If your concern is with a federal agency, my casework staff is authorized to investigate on your behalf. Please remember that you must have already filed an application, petition, formal complaint or otherwise contacted the federal agency in writing before my office can lend a hand.
According to the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Standards of Official Conduct, I can not act as an attorney or offer legal assistance in any way.
While I will make my best efforts to assist you, please remember that federal agencies have discretion concerning decisions on individual cases and have the final say on the outcome.
Meet My Caseworkers
My caseworkers are working hard for you, making sure that each constituent is serviced to the best of their ability. They look forward to helping you in your dealings with federal agencies.
Below is a list of federal agencies and the caseworkers assigned to those agencies for your reference. For more information, or if you have questions regarding casework, please contact them at my Newnan office at (770) 683-2033.
Department of Agriculture
Department of Energy
Federal Emergency and Management Agency (FEMA)
Department of Homeland Security - Immigration
Department of Justice
Department of State - Visas and Passports
Department of Treasury - IRS and Customs
Department of Commerce - Trade and Census
Department of Labor
Federal Trade Commission
General Service Administration
Department of Interior
Federal Aviation Administration
Office of Personnel Management
Equal Employment Opportunity Agency
Department of Education
Environmental Protection Agency
Department of Transportation
Small Business Administration
Department of Defense
Department of Veterans Affairs
Department of Housing and Urban Development
United States Post Office
Social Security Administration
Department of Health and Human Services
*If Kathy Pappas is not available, Dana Gantt can also help you with these agencies.*
How to Open a Case
- Using the information provided above, make certain that your question or problem is something my office can assist you with. Please refer to these Casework FAQs to determine if your question is more easily answered there.
- File all proper paperwork with the relevant federal agency prior to contacting my office. For example, if you need assistance checking on the status of a claim or appeal with the Department of Veterans Affairs, you need to make sure you have filed the proper paperwork for that claim or appeal.
- Once you have completed the first two steps, you can submit your casework request right here online. Simply fill out and submit this Casework Request Form. If you would prefer, you can also contact my Newnan office at 770-683-2033.
- Now that you have submitted your casework request, please fill out this Privacy Release Form. I will need this form in order to advocate on your behalf.
- Next, gather all relevant documents pertaining to your issue, which may include the most recent correspondence sent to/received from the agency (letters, decisions, notices, etc.), receipts for applications filed and fees paid, medical documentation (if applicable), financial records (if applicable), and/or other letters of support.
- Send these forms along with the completed Privacy Release Form to my Newnan office. You may mail, fax, or drop off these documents. For the relevant documents pertaining to your issue, please remember to send copies instead of original documents unless specifically requested by my staff.
Office of Congressman Lynn Westmoreland
1601 East Highway 34
Newnan, GA 30265
(770) 683-2042 FAX
Once we receive your casework request and documentation, please allow up to five business days for a member of my casework team to contact you regarding your concern.